LOOKING FOR AGENT REPRESENTATION
CHEF FOR SAIL TRAVEL TRILOGY
Mini Synopsis. Chef for Sail is a raconteur, aspiring writer and unintentional chef’s astonishing true story, offering you an exclusive glimpse into the secret lives of the rich, while cooking on a world famous luxury sailing yacht, in gated and gilded mansions and high-class ski chalets.
CHEF FOR SAIL Book One Synopsis
Below Deck and Above the Falline
All gets underway in 2009 when high profile New Zealander, restaurateur, entrepreneur, personality, and writer John McGrath left his country with big dreams of selling his first book at the world’s largest trade book fair in Frankfurt and a screenplay at the Venice, Cannes and Zurich film festivals. Unsuccessful and disheartened when these dreams are not realized, he is forced into liquidation and has to find work urgently. He attends an interview for what he thinks at the time was a ski instructor’s job in Chamonix, France, claiming qualifications and experience that he simply does not have, but a stroke of good fortune sees him end up in the spectacular French Alps, unintentionally working in luxury chalets as a high-end chef. A few mammoth white lies later, he implausibly secures a job as the head chef aboard the legendary 75-meter luxury sailing yacht Phocea, cruising the elite Mediterranean milk run. Suddenly he is totally out of his depth whilst continuing this charade and rollercoaster ride. His newfound culinary skills expertly improve as he cooks for the rich and famous in glitzy St Moritz, Switzerland enjoying a first-class winter season.
He has high hopes when he launches his third book at the glamorous Cannes film festival, but poor book sales mean reality bites and it is back to flaming pans and hot ovens as a private chef, for a Dutch dynasty on the magnificent French Riviera. He has a ski season in voguish Aspen Colorado; freelance cooking, attending a writing workshop, and teaching adaptive snow skiing. Penniless he recognizes his identity and calling as a chef and heads back to the South of France to work in luxury yachting and is soon working for wealthy capitalists.
The website is the visual story of these books and of a fascinating journey I never envisioned.
10 motives people will buy and enjoy reading these books and why they are merchantable generally.
1) A bird’s eye view into the lifestyles of the highly secretive mega rich and famous.
2) An entertaining and historical fast moving global travel narrative from a chef’s point of view.
3) A chef’s guide to international provisioning and cooking with no expense sparred.
4) An amusing account as life as a crew member on luxury yachts and in deluxe ski chalets.
5) The first books to historically document the super yacht industry 100 year evolution.
6) The author’s uncanny ability to fake it to he makes it punching well above his weight.
7) These books are distinctively placed in travel/food/memoir markets with nothing similar.
8) The books have international appeal to readers that like other food or travel books by authors such as Anthony Bourdain, Bill Bryson or Paul Theroux.
9) To advance book sales I took thousands of photos I have linked to a website and blog which tells the visual story of these adventures www.chefforsail.com
10) I am determined in helping guarantee the success of these books and would available 24/7 in working dynamically to promote and market them accordingly.